#PulpPantryRaid Carrot Top Chimichurri Creamy Dip
#PulpPantryRaid asks our chef friends & founder friends to share with us how they repurpose scraps in the kitchen to avoid food waste. A little inspo can go a long way in helping us all to tap into our Food Waste Warrior selves!
We’re kicking off our #PulpPantryRaid zero-waste recipes series with a recipe from our dear friend Kirsten Sutaria (an incredible R&D food scientist!) over at Doozy Pots, maker of delicious plant-based ice cream.
Now, time for this delicious dip recipe…
Did you know that the green bushy carrot tops you get on your fresh carrots are loaded with flavor? Slightly earthy & green, their flavor is like a mix between parsley & carrots. It’s a shame that these flavorful greens often go to waste. You can prevent food waste by turning them into delicious sauces & dips – win-win!
In this recipe, carrot tops make up the base of this chimichurri to create a versatile and zesty sauce that can be used on vegetables, grains & more. We like to take it one step further and blend it with creamy avocado and coconut yogurt for an out of this world dip.
- 1 large bunch of carrot top greens, destemmed & chopped.
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (If you have any herbs in your fridge that need to be used, this is a great place for them! Feel free to toss in basil, oregano, mint, or cilantro in as well)
- 1/3 cup olive or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 4 oz plain coconut yogurt, unsweetened
- 1 ripe avocado, halved with pit & skin removed
- In a small bowl combine the oil, vinegar, lemon juice , dry spices, salt & pepper.
- Put carrot tops and herbs into a blender, then add blend of oil, vinegar & spices.
- Blend on medium until the sauce is smooth., 30-60 seconds.
- To make the dip, add the coconut yogurt and avocado into the blender and blend on medium until smooth.
- Serve with chips, fresh vegetables or as a topping on your favorite meals. We think that Pulp Chips pair especially well with this one :)
Need a fresh bag of Pulp Chips? Find a store carrying Pulp Chips near you HERE!